I adore creamy sweet potato soups on a cold, winter night. What better way to beat the cold weather blues than to take the already tasty sweet potato soup and add a Jamaican twist. The coconut cream and cashew cream make this soup decadent and hearty, while adding protein.
3 TB creamed coconut (reconstitited with 1/2 cup hot water)
1 TB extra Virgin coconut oil
1 cup cashews soaked, drained, and blended until smooth with 1/4 cup water
2 TB Jamaican curry powder (I used a homemade blend from Vegan Eats World by Terry Hope Romero)
1 TB all purpose seasoning
1, 4oz can diced green chiles
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 TB fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. The creamed coconut I use in this recipe comes from this brand (Edward and Son’s Let’s Do Organic)
Take 3 TB and mix together until disolved with half a cup of hot water and set aside.
2. Prep onions and sweet potatoes. Heat a TB of extra Virgin coconut oil and sauté onions on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add sweet potatoes and mix into onions. Cook covered for 8 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste, along with the rest of the seasonings.
4. Add vegetable broth, cover, and increase heat to medium high. Cook covered until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
5. While cooking, blend soaked cashews with 1/4 cup water until smooth in a blender or food processor.
6. When sweet potatoes are soft, blend half of the soup in your blender and add back to pot.
7. Add diced chiles, creamed coconut and cashew cream into the soup pot and turn heat to low to heat through and develop flavor.
8. Before serving, mix in lemon juice and add cilantro.
9. Serves 6